Sunday, January 4, 2015

Week 1 Challenge: One Little Word #EduLS

Well, we're BACK!!

I can't tell you how excited I am to be bringing you the Educator Learning Series for an entire year instead of just the summer!  We had over 3,000 people from 8 different countries participating last summer!

If you missed our summer installment, don't worry, you can still check out all those awesome challenges, HERE!

Just like this past summer, I am going to be reaching out to many of my friends to help me create these weekly challenges.

There are no rules to these challenges.  You don't have to complete them one by one.  Complete the ones that speak to you!

My hope is just that you find some value in some of the ideas, tools, and teaching practices that will be shared by people from all over the world.

First off, I want to remind everyone to SHARE your learning!  Whether that be through Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or wherever you are!  We want as many people learning together as possible.  Use the hashtag #EduLS so that we can easily find all the great stuff you're sharing!

Challenge #1

So here's our first challenge.  Earlier last week I read a post by the incredible Lisa Dabbs.  I asked Lisa if I could use her post for our first challenge and she was thrilled!

Every year we hear all this talk about resolutions and getting ready to be better in a new year.

This year, instead of a resolution, what if we just came up with #onelittleword to help us guide and define our year ahead of us?

You can read more about this HERE.

So your challenge this week is to come up with your #onelittleword and share it on social media using the #EduLS hashtag!  Be creative though.  Take a picture of yourself holding the word up, design a graphic, paint it on a canvas.  Create it in a way that you can post it somewhere to remind yourself every day!

So there you have it.  Week 1 is pretty easy.

What's my word you may ask?  Well I've decided that my word for this year is "impact".  I want to make sure that every choice I make and every path I choose is one that will leave a lasting impact.  One that will make waves, challenge, support, create, and show love.  I want my entire journey this year leave an impact.

So, what's yours?






17 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm excited that this is starting again. Over the break, I did a lot of reflecting, reading, eating, and more reflecting. :) As you have chosen the word "impact", I have chosen something along the same lines--"greater." I want greater in all aspects of my life. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first learned about One Word from Jon Gordon's book a couple of years ago. I have been reflecting over the break as well and have chosen "tenacity" for my word as I want to have the perseverance, determination and endurance to do what's best for kids on a daily basis and to do the same at home for my family. Thank you for continuing to challenge us to grow and to increase the "impact" within our own circles. I'll be working on my creative expression this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a wordle for the new year and posted it for my staff and students to see when they come in tomorrow morning. Tenacity is one of the words included along with determination, persistent, driven, results, etc. I always share with my staff that in order to get something out of it you have to put something in it. Tenacity is a great word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for continuing the learning, Todd. My word this school year is "empower". I want my students to feel empowered to be active learners and my coworkers to be empowered to develop personally and professionally. I want everyone to have the opportunity to learn and grow in a safe environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great word choice! Glad to have you along for the ride!

      Delete
  5. Hopefully, this year long journey will be a great one; thank you for deciding to do this. My word is simply "engaged" for a variety of reasons. I wanted a one-word synonym for "dig deeper " as in going deep into content rather than skimming the surface, trying to hurry and get to the next topic. This is a concept with which I want to assist the teachers in my building. In addition, I personally need to stay focused on tasks in order to complete them to a greater level of accuracy and efficiency, both personally and professionally. My one word is intended to encompass focus, depth, and truly growing - for students, staff, and self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love "engaged"! Excited to have you learning alongside!

      Delete
  6. I am thrilled to be reconnecting and learning with you and this fantastic PLN. Additionally, I love the word "impact." Thank you for impacting my learning in such a positive manner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to take part in this, Todd - thanks for putting it in motion! My word is "compassion" - as in, if I can gather up some of that for the contractor I'm dealing with on a house project, I'll have started the year strong, for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just posted my #onelittleword for 2015 on Twitter. A little late but done nevertheless. My word? Confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My word is active..as in active learning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elisa, never too late! I just got around to it also; needed time to consider, design, and tweet my #onelittleword - CONSISTENT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi,
      Agreed! Now, i need to write a reflective post about my #onelittleword. I had my students do this earlier this month and now they're asking me to write a post also. 😁

      Delete